Business Office Mission
The Business Office assists the Bishop in his role as administrator of the temporal goods of the diocese and in his oversight role for the temporal goods of the church that are directly administered at the parish level throughout the diocese. The Business Office concentrates its effort on the civil and financial operations of the church throughout Eastern Montana.
The Business office provides a range of financial services and oversight to the Bishop and to the various parishes and mission parishes’ throughout the diocese. These services include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the financial affairs of the Diocese by providing bookkeeping, accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting for the Central Administrative Offices, Mount Olivet Cemetery and Holy Cross Cemetery.
- Supporting the various parishes and mission parishes by providing bookkeeping and accounting direction, advice, review, and oversight of the temporal goods of the parish in accordance with diocesan policies and procedures and ensure compliance with civil and canon law.
- Providing financial management and administrative support to the Montana Catholic Conference in accordance with the direction given by the Bishop of the Diocese of Great Falls-Billings and the Bishop of the Diocese of Helena.
- Providing record keeping, mailings, and centralized communication with members and supporting organizations for the Clerical Benefits Association.
- Providing oversight, receipt and disbursement of the capital funds deposited on behalf of the parishes and mission parishes throughout the diocese.
- Providing oversight of the various financial investments held on behalf of the Bishop, the parishes, and mission parishes througout the diocese.
- Providing oversight for the collection and receipt of donor gifts offered for the Annual Bishops Appeal and the Special Collections and the annual disbursement of the Special Collections to the US Conference of Catholic Bishops in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Providing oversight and administration of numerous trusts and estates held for the benefit of the Bishop and parishes and mission parishes throughout the diocese.
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures designed to ensure proper administration of the temporal goods of the Church.
The Business office provides legal advice and representation in collaboration with the diocesan attorney on behalf of the Bishop, parishes and mission parishes, and other diocesan entities. These services include, but are not limited to:
- Review and write contracts and agreements for various business related activities to ensure the rights of the diocese and parishes are secured and the liability resides with the responsible party.
- Review property listing agreements, buy-sell agreements, writing deed transfers and recording, and disputes in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Review and write property lease and rental agreements through the diocesan attorney ensuring the rights of the diocese and parishes and parish missions are protected, and that the requirements of the property liability insurance are met.
- Advise and review all major gifts offered through estates and wills to ensure the proper transfer of property and land in accordance with the donor’s intent.
- File applications for property tax exemptions in accordance with state and federal laws for not-for-profit organizations.
- Review and write requests for easement and other property use agreements for properties owned by the Bishop for the benefit of the parishes and mission parishes.
Training and Support
On an as needed basis, or when requested, the Business office will provide training or assistance to parish finance councils in the administration of the parish.